- One 5- to 6 kg turkey
- 160gm (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 1 ripe small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 8 spears
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Pineapple Glaze:
- 4 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup Fayrouz pineapple
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of saffron threads
- Pinch of kosher salt
- For the turkey: Bring the turkey to room temperature. Remove the turkey parts from the breast and neck cavities and thoroughly pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position and remove the other racks if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Combine the butter, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, paprika and pepper in a small bowl for the rub. Work the mixture under the skin of the turkey and massage it into the breasts, legs and cavity. Massage the mixture on the outside of the skin as well.
- For the stuffing: Stuff the turkey cavity with the garlic, oranges, pineapples, onions, rosemary and thyme. Tie the legs together over the back of the breast and tuck in the ends of the wings so they will be protected during cooking.
- Roast the turkey until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 80 degrees C, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer the turkey to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest 30 minutes.
- For the pineapple glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine the pineapple, fayrouz pineapple, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, saffron and salt over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove the glaze from the heat and let cool. (The glaze can be made ahead of time.)
- Before carving, smother the turkey with the pineapple glaze.