- 70g butter
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- A pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Amstel Radler
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 recipe White Sauce
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves
- 500g boneless fish, cut into 4cm chunks
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 4 cups mashed potato, seasoned
- To make the White Sauce, melt the butter in a pot and when it begins to foam add the flour. Stir over heat for about a minute. Add mustard powder and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in milk and Amstel Radler, stirring until a thick, smooth sauce is produced. Season to taste. Sauce thickens as it cools. Makes 3½ cups.
- Mix lemon juice and parsley through white sauce. It should taste quite lemony. Pour about half the sauce into a shallow baking dish. Cover with fish and hard-boiled eggs. Pour over rest of sauce. Cover with a layer of mashed potato. Bake at 220°C for 25-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and potato is golden on top.